Skip to content
Delays expected for Victorian orders. Click here for Australia Post updates.
Delays expected for Victorian orders. Click here for Australia Post updates.

Keeping Frogs

At Kellyville Pets we love our animal friends and are committed to matching owners with the right pet and providing customers with unsurpassed advice, service and selection of products. This is our way of ensuring our animals have the best possible start in their new home with you.

Unfortunately, due to licensing laws and requirements, Kellyville Pets are not yet able to sell Frogs. 

All frogs (and tadpoles) are protected in NSW under the National Parks and Wildlife Act, and it is against the law to take them from the wild to keep as pets. This will ensure that risks to wild populations from illegal collection and key threatening process such as Chytrid Fungus and other diseases are minimised.

You can get a licence from the NPWS to keep frogs, but you must obtain the frogs from a licensed breeder or society. You can only keep frogs that have either been bred in captivity or for other reasons cannot be released back into the wild.

For educational purposes, schools in NSW have been licensed to enable children and their teachers to collect and keep a maximum of 20 tadpoles to watch them grow and transform into froglets. Tadpoles must never be collected from national parks or other reserves. Once tadpoles have transformed into froglets, they must be released back in the location where they were collected.

If you wish to keep frogs or tadpoles, you must get a licence from the Office of Environment and Heritage. The amphibian licensing and record-keeping system allows OEH to monitor which amphibian species are being kept, bred and traded amongst enthusiasts.
There are two classes of amphibian keeper licences:

Class 1 licence

A Class 1 licence allows you to look after 45 species of frog, including common species that are easy to care for. A person with a basic knowledge of the needs of the animals should have no problems meeting their needs.

Some of the frogs which can be kept under a Class 1 licence are:

  • green tree frog
  • red-eyed tree frog
  • dainty tree frog
  • white-lipped tree frog
  • peron's tree frog
  • striped marsh frog
  • common froglet.

An applicant must be over 16 years of age to apply for a Native Animal Keepers’ Licence. If you are under 16 years of age and interested in keeping native animals as pets, the licence application must be in the name of your legal parent or guardian.

Class 2 licence

A Class 2 licence is for 29 frog species that are rare or more difficult to keep than species that can be kept under a Class 1 licence. These licences are available to people who are over 18 years of age and have had at least two years' experience in caring for Class 1 frogs.

To successfully keep frogs you need to know how to look after them. They need live food, and will not readily eat dead or non-moving food items. Frogs need an environment with clean water, shelter and feeding space.

Tadpoles are a little easier to keep. They need clean water (tap water needs to be treated to remove chlorine compounds) and a diet of suitable plant food. Their pond needs rocks to climb onto when they metamorphose and areas to escape from the sun.

View our Green Tree Frog Fact Sheet here, The most popular Australian Frog Species.

For more information, please call one of our friendly Reptile staff on 9629 3282.

Please also note that we do not ship reptiles intestate. We are situated about 45 minutes drive from Sydney CBD.