Mopani Wood Medium
Mopani wood is a unique wood due to its largely contrasting 2-tone colour combination of tan and dark brown. This contrasting colour makes it a great addition to any enclosure or turtle setup needing some aesthetic properties.
These pieces of wood are great for attaching plants such as anubias and mosses to give your enclosure a more natural look.
Mopani wood is also beneficial to your water just like other types of driftwood. It releases natural tannins in the water which can slightly discolour your water but lowers your pH. Tannins are good for your aquarium for several reasons:
- Help prevent fungal and bacterial infections
- Natural uric acid is released causing a lower pH
- Lower pH helps with plant growth
- Softens your water over time
- Creates a place for biofilms to grow leading to natural grazing surfaces for fish or shrimp
To reduce the discolouring of your water you can soak the wood in a separate container and continue to change the water until it slows down or stops altogether. Adding additional activated carbon to the aquarium filter after you add it to your tank can remove any excess tannins and clear up your water.
*Please Note: No two pieces are the same, and the photo is just a general guide of the item.*