Winter has arrived and we are all starting to feel the cold. Below are our 8 tips to keep you dog warm and safe this winter:
- Buy your dog a coat. Choose a washable coat that is correctly sized. Don’t buy coats for large winter breed dogs like Huskies or Malamutes as they may overheat or itch.
- Make sure their shelter is well insulated and the opening does not face into the wind.
Limit the time that short hair and lean dogs like Dalmatians and Greyhounds have to spend outside.
Include a bed in the dog shelter to insulate them from the ground.
Do not leave your dog unattended in a room with a space heater.
- Get a heated pad for your dogs to sleep on.
- Move outdoor dogs into a garage or shed if it becomes very cold.
- Feed outdoor dogs a little more during very cold days to compensate of the additional calories they have to burn to stay warm.