Eight tips to help your dog stay warm this winter
Winter has arrived and we are all starting to feel the cold. Below are our 8 tips to keep you dog warm and safe this winter:
- Buy your dog a coat. Choose a washable coat that is correctly sized. Don’t buy coats for large winter breed dogs like Huskies or Malamutes as they may overheat or itch.
- Make sure their shelter is well insulated and the opening does not face into the wind.
- Limit the time that short hair and lean dogs like Dalmatians and Greyhounds have to spend outside.
- Include a bed in the dog shelter to insulate them from the ground.
- Do not leave your dog unattended in a room with a space heater.
- Get a heated pad for your dogs to sleep on.
- Move outdoor dogs into a garage or shed if it becomes very cold.
- Feed outdoor dogs a little more during very cold days to compensate of the additional calories they have to burn to stay warm.