Skip to content
Free shipping available for some orders. Click here for more information.
Free shipping available for some orders. Click here for more information.

Halloween: The Scary Reality For Dogs

Halloween could be more scary than fun this year if your pet gets their paws on the your hard earned treats. Other than Easter, Halloween is another month there is a spike in vet visits due to toxicity from lollies and chocolate.

As most of us know, chocolate can be deadly for dogs depending on the portion and type of chocolate ingested. The ingredient in chocolate that is toxic to dogs is ‘theobromine’. Humans easily metabolise theobromine, but dogs process it much slower, allowing it to build up to toxic levels in their system.

Chocolate toxicity can result in vomiting, diarrhoea, rapid breathing and increased heart rate which can lead to weakness, coma and cardiac failure. Call your vet straight away if you have noticed your dog has eaten any amount of chocolate.

Lollies are another hidden Halloween danger for dogs. Large amounts of sugar can cause diarrhoea and vomiting and not to mention a very hyperactive dog. Don’t forget about the packaging, let’s face it, eating plastic isn’t good for anyone.

We suggest you keep your pets away from your Halloween spoils, however if you don’t want them to miss out on all the fun, come into Kellyville Pets to get them a dog-friendly, Halloween themed Puppy Cake to enjoy!

    Previous article Cupcakes for Charlotte bake sale
    Next article How to choose a Japanese Ranchu Goldfish