Dogs In The Workplace
June 24, 2021
We LOVE dogs, so any reason to bring your dog to work is a good one, right!?
Whether its for 'International Take Your Dog To Work Day', or just to keep you company, there's a few things you'll need to consider before bringing in a fluffy friend. We've put together a quick guide with some useful tips to ensure you and your pooch get the most out of a day together at the office.
Tips For Bringing Your Dog To Work
Before Getting To Work
• Make sure that dogs are allowed in your workplace. Check with your manager if you are unsure.
• Make sure no one in your workplace is allergic to dogs. If someone is allergic, you may need to reconsider bringing your dog to work.
• Ensure that your workplace is pet friendly. All hazards (such as cables and cords) should be out of reach of your fluffy friend.
• Make sure your dog is microchipped and has a collar with their name and your contact number on it.
• Ensure your dog is up to date with vaccinations.
• Never leave your dog unattended in the workplace. Ask a coworker to watch your dog if you need to go to the bathroom or attend a meeting.
• You should not bring your dog to work if they are not socialized with other dogs or people, or if they get anxious in new environments. If in doubt, leave them at home.
In The Office
• If possible, you should walk your dog prior to arriving at work. This will help reduce excess energy which can result in a quieter and calmer pooch.
• Bring your dog's favourite bed or blanket and food/water bowls and place them next to your desk. It will be a good idea to also bring their favourite toy so that they feel comfortable and have something to do while you are working.
• Bring your dog’s favourite treats so that you can reward positive behaviour. Bully sticks and other long-lasting snacks will work a treat!
• Make sure you bring a harness and lead so you can take your dog for regular toilet breaks. If you can, go for a walk on your lunch break.
• Accidents are going to happen. Be prepared to clean up number 1’s and number 2’s!
Why Bringing Your Dog To Work Is A Good Idea
It's no secret that dogs make us happy. They are proven to reduce stress and anxiety by adding a calming presence to any situation. You and your pooch will be the centre of attention for your coworkers, which will aid in social interactions. Who knows, you might even make a new friend! Most importantly, your dog will love it! YOU are the centre of your dog's world, so why not show them how much they mean to you by making them the centre of yours.